Once again I'm not doing a post about a cookie or any other kind of treat.
And I feel bad about that. Especially considering that that is what this blog is really supposed to be all about.
However, this is something that I am planning to incorporate into my future plans for Little Miss K's Cookies. So I hope you can all forgive me for going off topic.
This post is actually regarding something that has been very dear to my heart for quite a long time.
I am a huge believer in giving second chances. Sometimes, unfortunately, even when they aren't really deserved.
And I find that too many people are very afraid of giving second chances. Especially to shelter animals.
Until this past summer I had been a volunteer at the Winnipeg Humane Society as a dog walker. I very much miss going there every Saturday morning and seeing those dogs get so excited to be given the attention and love they crave from the staff and volunteers.
I always watched the people coming in on those days. You could always tell who was there just to look and who was there searching for that new friend to take home.
Every week I would find a new favorite to love and spend a little bit of extra time with in between walks.
I know that puppies are generally impossible to resist because of how darn cute they are and so often super fuzzy and huggable. However, my personal favorites were often the overlooked dogs. The ones with a little gray around the muzzle and that incredibly knowing look in their eyes that can only come with age.
These were the ones I loved the most. I still do.
I've told my husband a few times now that if we were to get a dog again I would like it to be an adult. One that maybe has seen better years and isn't quite so agile anymore. Not because I feel bad for them but because I know from experience that these dogs often have as much if not more love than a puppy.
My first dog (of my own rather than a family dog) was a 10.5 year old mixed breed from the WHS. And man, was she special. I joke about how she must have had dementia because of how often she would switch between be super sweet to being a cranky old lady. But she was still so incredibly perfect. Sadly I had only one year with her before she passed away. But even still, it was a great year.
So now you're probably wondering why I'm telling you all of this.
Let me explain.
There are 10 animal shelters in Winnipeg. Just Winnipeg. There are a whole lot more throughout Manitoba. But let's stick with just the city for now.
The majority of these shelters rely heavily on donations from outside sources and generous citizens.
I know of one shelter that nearly had to shut down due to a lack of financing several years ago. It nearly broke my heart. Especially because at the time I just didn't have the resources to provide any assistance at the time.
Now, again, why am I telling you this?
Because I feel very strongly in adopting shelter animals. And I also feel very strongly about supporting the shelters that take care of these animals.
So here's the part where I explain what this has to do with Little Miss K's Cookies.
I am hoping that in just a couple more months to start doing craft shows on a regular basis and at this shows I am hoping to raise a little bit of money to donate to different shelters around Winnipeg. And I'd like to donate this extra money to a different shelter after each show.
For fun I have decided to make a bunch of crocheted dogs to give away with each donation along with a bit of information about the chosen shelter (if the donator would like to take one that is). It doesn't matter if it's a few dollars or just a few cents. Every little bit makes a difference to a lot of these shelters.
The money goes towards food, kennel supplies, vet care and any number of extra things they might need to care for the animals.
The dog I have been working on right now is still a legless pooch but Miss K seems to love him very much already. I think he'll have to stay here at home with us. Haha!
But in any case, I hope you folks don't mind that I wrote about something else again.
I have already started next week's post and it is all about cookies. I promise!
Have a happy Sunday!
No comments:
Post a Comment