Monday, 23 May 2016

I Scream For Ice Cream

Thank goodness for long weekends. Sort of.
I always try to be extra productive on the weekends. Especially if they're long. But this time I was not nearly as productive as I had hoped to be.
My husband went on his annual fishing trip with his dad so I spent the weekend with just my girls. It was fun but man, oh man, did I miss my husband. Specifically I missed having an extra pair of hands to help me out with the girls. Whew!

So my uncle was the one who gave me the idea for this. Sort of. His idea was pretty vague.
It involved rolled oats and chocolate chips and that was about it. I'm not totally sure what he was hoping for. I hope that what I came up with is good enough. ;)

I absolutely love my mum's chocolate chip cookie recipe and I will choose it over an other every time. So I decided to use her recipe for this dessert/treat.
You've probably seen those brownie cups people make what seems like all the time right?
I've seen a ton of different versions but I never wanted to try making them because, well, I almost never eat ice cream. Or brownies.

Yes, yes, I know. I make them. I sell them. But no, I don't eat them. And if I do I always wind up wishing I hadn't. My love for chocolate is not what it used to be.

And here's where the cookie comes in. I decided to make these nifty cups but with cookie dough instead of brownie batter. And even better? I decided to do it without the help from those other blogs. Because, well, I didn't think of them when I worked on these. Oh well!

So to start I whipped up a half batch of my mum's chocolate chip cookies. (Recipe will be added at the bottom!)
And then I covered the bottoms of my muffin tin. I was only able to cover 3 of the 6 cups because of how close together they were. But oh well, that's okay.

 

It turned out to be for the best because this is what happened with the first bunch:


Oh man that's bad!

So now what do I do? Well, I tried cutting away the extra but it just wasn't working very well. I'll try again!

Quickly get another tray ready to go and this time I put it in the freezer. I'll freeze them before I bake them this time. And I'll keep a much closer eye on them when they're in the oven. Perfect idea! (I hope!)

I made sure to do just a few minutes at a time so I was constantly checking on these ones. I should have just parked my butt in front of the oven and stared in. Haha!

Well, the second attempt failed too. Bummer!

So I went looking for those blogs that I had originally not thought of checking out.

It turns out that I should have just put the cookie dough into the muffin cups and then used a spice container to make an indent for ice cream to sit in right after they came out of the oven. Well now!
Let's try one more time!

Another quick half batch of cookie dough! (Man, I'm wishing now that I had made a full batch!) One scoop per muffin cup with my handy-dandy cookie scoop. Into the oven they went one last time. And voila!



(Sorry! I forgot to take pictures after the first 2 attempts! I'll make them again in the morning just for pictures!)

Because I chose to use my large muffin tins I had to use a slightly larger spice container to make the indent. But man alive it worked beautifully! I might actually eat some ice cream in these tomorrow! (I have to wait until my uncle comes to visit so he can be the first to eat one.)


I'll do a quick update early tomorrow with pictures. I'll even set a reminder in my phone so I don't forget to take pictures!

I know that once again this is not an original recipe or idea. It seems to me that just about everything you can think of has been made already several times over. It's getting harder and harder to find anything completely and totally original. I'm trying though folks!

It's going to be a very busy month coming up here folks. I'm doing another craft show so I'll be baking like crazy over the next few weeks. I'll do my best to get a new post up on the weekends though and most likely they'll involve what I'm already making for the craft show. Stay tuned!

Here's the  (full) recipe for you folks if you'd like to try making these cups (or just plain old cookies).

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups margarine or butter (softened)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 cups flour
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
 Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix together first 5 ingredients. Add eggs and blend well.
  3. Mix in the flour, rolled oats and baking soda until just incorporated.
  4. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  5. If making cookies scoop dough onto a tray and bake for 8-10 minutes. If making cups place the scoop into muffins tins and bake for 10-15 minutes. (They may appear slightly under baked in the center but this is okay.)
  6. If making cookies allow to cool 5 minutes before removing from tray. If making cups use a small spice jar to create an indent in the center and allow to cool before removing from muffin tins.

No comments:

Post a Comment