Sunday, 29 November 2015

Bake Sale Take Two

Ah, peace and quiet. This never happens for me until after my little Miss K goes to bed. And luckily my husband is also asleep. It's so nice. Very, very nice. I'm half wishing I had some wine right now. But I don't so let's move on shall we?

People following my Facebook page are aware that I once again did another large bake sale. This time it was in Winnipeg and it was not nearly as stressful. Except when I almost ran out of change early in the day. But I'll talk about that in a bit.
This time I had to drive barely 20 minutes to the community center that this craft show was taking place. What a relief! It was nice getting up in the morning early, having my first cup of coffee and chatting with my husband while I did a few last-minute things to get ready. And of course my munchkin woke up shortly before I had to leave so I was able to get some snuggles in real quick before I headed out the door.



My husband and my dad helped me load up my car, my mum had my munchkin up by the window to say good-bye. The best part though was when my husband wished me good luck. I was flying high thanks to his support.

One quick stop for at a Tim Horton's for my second cup of coffee for the day and I was on my way to the show. Now, despite being totally pumped up by my husband I was still super, duper worried about how this one would go. Remember what I said about the last one? Well, I was pretty nervous that this one would go right along those same lines. Oh man was I nervous.

So after some zig-zagging down a few streets and driving like I was well over 90 while trying to find the entrance to this place I made it. Quick, let's get a decent spot to park in this teeny tiny lot and get this show on the road.

And when I walked in I was surprised to find that not only was this event not very big but full of smiley, friendly people. And the way they had their tables set up was beautiful. Of course I had to get help finding mine, but that really wasn't a surprise. Haha!

I had an hour to set up. I could have had more time but really, I don't need all that much. And as I carried my boxes in I made sure to look around. There were none of those big tables I was so worried about! What? How great was this? The people were all local, legitimate crafters/bakers like little ol' me. And they were all chatting with each other and laughing as they set up their tables. It was so nice!

Finally, I was ready to go. And with time to spare no less!


 In my last blog I mentioned that I would like to do new packaging for my items. I personally feel that saran wrap just does not look all that appealing. And it can be tough to get into something that's double wrapped. You know what I'm talking about. You've bought stuff from the store wrapped so tightly you can't find an edge and you wind up having to get out a knife just to open the package. Well, I bought some clear plastic lids to go on my trays. I only used them for the cupcakes this time just because I had everything else already wrapped up. And they worked out so perfectly! They looked better, stacked nicer. And best of all? Nothing got squished!

I made my first change. And I'm quite happy with how well it worked out. Yes, yes, I know it's really not a big change. But it's a start!

So the sale started at 10 am and it was not even 30 minutes in and I had already made a couple sales. I was blown away! And this is where the little bit of stress came in. I was already running low on change. I really hadn't expected to get such a good start and so I didn't have a very big float. So what do I do now? I can't leave to go get change. So I quickly texted my mum (I knew my husband would have his hands full with out crazy little munchkin) and asked if she would be able to get me just a little more change. I could easily pay it right back thanks to the sales I was already making. She suggested I text my dad since he was close by. Sure enough, within 30 minutes he showed up with way more change than I would have expected. And I was able to give him an equal amount in bills with no trouble. 

Everything after that was smooth sailing! It was phenomenal. I had people constantly going by. Not everyone who looked bought, but hey, that's to be expected. But then again, I did have tons of people buying a little here and a little there. It was such a huge difference from my first big bake sale that I was ecstatic. 

I had this one wonderful little lady come by with her walker. She was looking hard at a few things but then so sweetly said that she'd better not. Even if everything made her mouth water. I got such a kick out of her. She strolled around the entire room, probably talking to nearly every vendor. I even saw her getting a ride on her walker for a little bit later in the afternoon. Kind of looked like fun. 

My sister stopped in for a few minutes and indirectly introduced me to another vendor that she knew from a show she had done just a few weeks ago. This lovely lady told me to email her so she would know I was interested in doing more sales like the one we were currently at. She and my sister both had a pretty rotten experience at the one they were at together. Once again, too many people that were selling big things that really don't count as crafts. 

And of course my in-laws stopped off at my home to pick up Miss K to bring her to see mummy for a bit. And to buy some stuff. I love that they always buy something. :)

Thanks to this second sale I'm feeling more optimistic about doing more in the future. Not right away mind you, but I will certainly do them again. Christmas is coming up so a break is in order I think. 

So that is how my second bake sale went in a nutshell!
And now my peace and quiet is over as I can hear Miss K crying and my husband snoring a little louder.
Good night everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment