Hey folks,
I would like to let you all know that I would very much like to do another craft show/bake sale event down the road. The one I participated in earlier today gave me an idea of what it would be like and a general idea of what to expect. I spent a small part of my time at the event to consider some changes I would need to make in order to do more larger bake sales.
Very basic changes really. How I package and display my items is my number one concern.
My second biggest concern is what items sell the best. Surprisingly the items I believe to be the most popular really didn't sell at all. Who doesn't like chocolate chip cookies?
Now, I also realized that I baked a lot more than I probably should have. And I had a lot of people pass by my table with barely a glance or people who would browse and appear to really be interested only to have them walk away without purchasing anything. I won't lie. I found this very discouraging. It also made me realize that how things are presented is a very, very big deal.
What also didn't help much was seeing so many table occupied by people selling things such as Tupperware, sensy (I may have spelled that wrong. Oops!) There were others I know but I won't try to list them all. Bigger tables which are really home-based businesses really draw people in and away from people with smaller tables and lesser or completely unknown names. Once again, this was discouraging.
I am hoping that down the road when I'm ready to do another sale like the one today I will be much better prepared. I discovered that I can get away with baking less which was a relief because I hate taking time away from my little girl. I also reminded myself how much I hate being unprepared and disorganized (even if it was only slightly).
When my husband asked me this evening how I did I really didn't want to tell him because of how disappointed I was with how I did. Especially since I have so much baking left over. I really didn't anticipate having much of anything left. So I find myself feeling like a bit of a failure. Which I know really isn't the case, but when your high expectations aren't even close to being met it's hard not to.
So. Right now all the left over baking from the sale is posted on my Facebook page just waiting to be claimed. So of course I would like for all of you to check it out and to let me know if you'd like anything.
I'd also like let you all know that the next time I do a big sale like this I will be staying local. (We had some trouble on some icy roads.) I will also be very picky about the sale I choose to book a table at
I would very much like to avoid any involving home-based businesses. Personally I feel that they don't really qualify as "crafts" which is really what the shows are supposed to be about. Whenever the next show is set I will be sure to post plenty of info well in advance for everyone.
I hate to say it but my husband and I are relying on any extra income that this sort of thing might bring in. After all, it is not easy to pay two sets of bills on a single income.
Until the next big sale I will continue to do my smaller monthly sales. I would also like to let you all know that I will deliver orders now. However, due to the time of year and having a toddler I have to restrict deliveries to Winnipeg only.
Wow. This post is just a mish-mash of information and feelings. Haha!
Anywho, continuing on. I will soon be updating my Facebook info, cover photo and profile picture. I am also planning to invest in new and more appealing packaging not too far down the road. I am also planning to buy some nice paper bags to put the items in.
Things like updated price information, business cards, packaging and whatnot will be announced whenever it happens. Just to keep everyone informed.
I really, really enjoy baking and I'd very much like to continue to do my small monthly sales as well as the occasional large one. But I need you guys to help me make this work. ☺
So keep the comments on my Facebook page coming. Please feel free to make orders when the sales roll around. If I'm late on an order it's most likely because I got distracted by my little girl and forgot. Don't be afraid to send me a little reminder! Reminders are good. Plus you don't have to pay until you actually get your order so you don't have to feel like I'm taking your money and that's it. Also, from now on I absolutely will not take any payment until I have your order ready and it has been delivered.
I think that about sums everything I felt needed to be said tonight. So I am going to shut it down foe the night.
I hope you all have a good day tomorrow!
And.... Good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment