Sunday, 3 April 2016

Practice Makes Perfect

I know this post is coming late. Again. (Argh!)
But unfortunately I had one of those nights last night where no matter what I did I just could not keep my eyes open. The moment I stopped moving I was darn near snoring. Really made for an unproductive night. It's a miracle I got my dishes washed!

I'm writing about something I've been wanting to improve on for quite a long time.

I absolutely love those beautifully decorated cookies you see in cafés and cake shops. And I was always a little bit jealous that I could never make mine look half as nice.
So I finally decided that it was time I start practicing the art of cookie decorating!

Note to self: Invest in a lot more decorating supplies! And I mean a lot!!
Who knew that a turkey lancer was how people tidied up their outlines and made those cool patterns in the wet icing?
I don't have one of those (yet!) so I used a toothpick. It worked pretty well but I was afraid I would end up smudging my icing with the side of my hand.

I also need a whole lot more food colours. I have five I think. Not really easy to do much decorating with only a handful of different colours.


I'm kind of wishing I had done just plain circles in hindsight. But I figured that this would test my mettle a smidge more than decorating a plain old circle.

And of course there was no way I was just going to "wing it". Heck no!
I spent quite a bit of time searching for a royal icing recipe that didn't have meringue powder or corn syrup in it. That's entirely because I just don't have either of those in my cupboards right now. Haha!


So I finally found a simple 3 ingredient royal icing recipe with the help of Google.
Check it out here: thepioneerwoman

Super, duper easy to make this icing! And I like it when it's so simple.


It's actually supposed to be much stiffer than it appears in the picture. I was impatient and decided to stop mixing just long enough to take one. Haha!

It looks pretty nice doesn't it?



You can clearly tell which was the first one I did and which was the last. 
In case you can't... The top right cookie was my first and the bottom left was the last. I really started to get not too bad at this I think.


Thinking about it well after it was too late I should have done the outline in the same colour as the filler colour I chose. Sheesh! Hindsight really is 20/20.
That one at the top didn't quite get finished because the blue icing was too thick for it to flood the cookie properly. Boo.

Just going to go ahead and toot my own horn for a second here. *Toot toot*

I'm pretty happy with my progress already but I'm going to check out some of the decorating classes at Michaels.

Sorry for the post coming to you late (again)!
Good night!




No comments:

Post a Comment