Haha! Just kidding.
Really though, it was the most fitting title for this treat.
I found a recipe on Pinterest (no surprise there is there?) and thought I would try it out. That was way back in the summer. And while it turned out not too bad I wasn't really too happy with it.
Here's a link to the original recipe: http://therecipecritic.com/2014/08/cinnamon-roll-breadtwists/
My resulting treat was much too thick and dry. I had followed the recipe to a tee and I even went so far as to add a little extra of the butter, sugar and cinnamon in the hopes they would turn out a little extra gooey. No such luck. And while I found the recipe to be a very good one I was not satisfied. Thankfully no one else complained. At least not that I can remember. Haha!
And recently I had made cinnamon buns following my mum's extremely awesome "recipe" but they disappeared way too fast. So I was in the mood to make more without actually making the full bun.
So I looked up the recipe above again and decided to give it another go.
I once again followed the recipe to the tee and was pleasantly surprised with the way the dough worked out. I often have trouble with bread type dough and amazingly enough I had none with this recipe. It's even good for making pizza with. Hooray!
Getting sidetracked there. Whoops!
Back to the cinnamon roll/twist things.
For this attempt I halved the recipe just to be on the safe side. And I rolled the dough out extra thin. But now I wanted to do something different. But how?

This was the tricky part for me. I'm creative but this was a different sort of creative. And I was stumped at first. But then I thought: Why not do both a bun and a twist?
I'm a genius! A quick pat on the back and I set out to figure out the best way to do this. Gosh was it tricky at first. I did as the recipe said and cut the dough into strips and then twisted them. Perfect. Step one was done. Now how to make them into a bun?
Aha! I took the end of one twist and started curling it in on itself. Not too shabby. And hey, it looks a little like a rose. How cool is that? (See why that title was so fitting? Haha!)Now here's where I think I strayed a bit and wound up making my current success with this recipe into not such a great success. Not necessarily a failure but still not something I was happy with. Drat!

I coated the cups of a muffin tin and added some brown sugar and cinnamon in the bottoms. I then put the little cinnamon roses into the cups. I thought that it would work out really, really well this way but boy was I wrong.
I'll explain in a minute.
I let them rise again like the recipe for the twists suggested and then popped them into the oven. The recipe called for 20 minutes in the oven. Wa-a-a-ay too long. So when I pulled them out before my timer even went off they were passing the golden-brown stage and moving right along into the scorched to the pan stage. Double drat!
I really hate when that happens. Like really, really, really hate it. I couldn't even bring myself to take a picture of the finished ones. They don't taste too bad though thankfully. I guess.
So of course now I'm going to have to make another batch to really perfect this. But that can wait for tonight. Which means that this blog post will have an update tomorrow evening with the new finished result. Yay!
But for right now I will say good night to you lovely folks. And you can bet that not only will I add the full recipe tomorrow to this post but also a few more pictures.
**** EDIT ****
I finally had time to retry this treat. Whew. What a long day it's been.
Once again I halved the dough recipe and rolled it out very thin. I found the first time around that the thinner it was the easier it was to twist it and then curl it in on itself. And despite being scorched pretty bad on the outside the inside was very flaky. So that was a bonus I hadn't really expected.
Before I show the finished picture here is the recipe:
Dough
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
Cinnamon & sugar mixture
- 5 tbsps melted butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsps cinnamon
Instructions:
1. Mix the warm water (must be warm), sugar and yeast together. Let it sit for 5 minutes. (This gives the yeast time to activate.)
2. Add the flour and salt to the bowl and mix until smooth. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for 10 minutes. (If you're using a stand mixer the dough hook is perfect for this. Also, the dough may be sticky. This is okay.)
3. Roll out the dough on a floured surface. Try to make a square-ish shape if you can. Brush the dough with the melted butter. Combine the sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl and then sprinkle over the butter.
4. Fold the dough in half and cut into 1 inch strips. I did narrower strips but it's totally up to you.
5. Twist the strips and then curl them in on themselves. (See the pictures up above.) Place your little "roses" onto a greased baking sheet and let sit for another 10-15 minutes to rise a bit more.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
The original recipe said to bake these little guys at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Well, we know that that just didn't work out very well. So I turned the heat down and kept the amount of time the same. But I still watched them like a hawk to make sure that they were baked perfectly.
Seriously, I think I checked on them every 5 minutes.
But they turned out amazing!! Oh my goodness I was so happy with not only how they looked but how they tasted too!
I might even have another one real quick. Who am I kidding? Of course I'm going to have another one!
Good night all! Have a good week!



No comments:
Post a Comment